2008-02-08

The first proper and decent looking electric car (EV) will ship in Europe this year

I promised myself that I will never buy a car with a conventional combustion engine that runs on regular fuel. I told myself that I will wait until a proper battery-powered electric vehicle is available before I buy a car. It looks as if I could buy my first car this year: a Think City. Think Global AS, a Norwegian automotive company that used to be a subsidiary of Ford, is now advertising its new electric car (EV), the Think City, which features a maximum range of 180 km with one charge, a maximum speed of 100 km/h and a charging time of 10 hours for a full charge. And above all, it looks like a regular small car:
Technology Review's December issue has a lengthy story on the baby (in German) and refers to it as "an iPod on wheels". However, the most important information is missing from the official website and the review: Availability and Price. I wrote an E-Mail to Think and received a very prompt reply. Here is the deal:
The car will be launched in the UK, Norway, Switzerland and Denmark in 2008. In 2009 we will look to launching in more European countries plus the US and Canada.
Switzerland! Hooray! I can get one this year! I knew it was a good idea to move to Switzerland.. If I can afford it, because the little gizmo comes with a steep price tag and a little catch:
The car costs from 199.000.- NOK [Note: at current conversion rates, thats 24.772,53 EUR]. In addition, one rents a battery pack for 975.- NOK [121,37 EUR] (plus tax) a month.
The indicated prices are for the Norwegian market and will be adjusted for in other countries. We have included the mobility agreement because;
1. The battery is still quite expensive.
2. Think is responsible for the battery functioning as it should.
3. Think will deliver a new battery when needed without any additional costs.
4. It will be possible to "upgrade" to other battery technologies when available.
According to the Technology Review report mentioned above, the true reason for this "mobility agreement" is another one: The battery is so expensive that it doesn't make sense to fracture its price into the price of the car; the overall price for the car would be beyond reason. Thus, they found a clever way of fracturing out the cost of the energy pack: You buy the car but you lease the battery, i.e. technically, you don't own the battery but pay a monthly fee to use it. I think that is rather clever. And at "180 km range at the price of a glass of mineral water" (company website) and with drastically reduced taxes due to zero-emission, 120 EUR per months looks like a fair deal to me.

I probably won't buy one though, because its limited range destines its prime use to commuting to work and for shopping, and I do both very conveniently by Zürich's perfect public transport. Sigh. But who knows? If the range expands I'll get one. And I am really glad that there finally is a decent electric car available in Europe. Well done, Think!

Even if you don't speak German, make sure to check out the beautiful photo gallery of the Technology Review Article. I especially like the plug beneath the fuel tank cap.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

UGG are wonderful in this regard because they are created from the most UGG Boots there can be.

4:27 AM  
Blogger onwebmedia said...

Personally, the post is in fact the most excellent on this impressive topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will keenly look further to your future updates.
Albuquerque brake service

1:04 PM  
Blogger Arghya Chakraborty said...

Before reading this I was totally unaware of the topic. Thanks for Explaining in such a nice way. I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and got a lot from them.
San Antonio brake service

1:07 PM  
Blogger arghya said...

Its very nice to read your most informative information. Its very well written. I got many unknown information from this site. funny t-shirts

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the dear information you offer in your articles. I'm able to bookmark your site and show the kids check out up here generally. famous quotes

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. Soma

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and got a lot from them. To me, you are doing the great work.Canon Camera Repair

8:06 AM  
Blogger Parsifal362 said...

Great, I love that car. Strangely, however, I have never seen that car neither in Switzerland, Sweden or Germany, and now we are already in 2014. Perhaps the company went bankrupt before and we are now stuck with BMW & CO electric cars.

Alexander at www.auto-outlet.ch

12:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cortinas de Cristal Marbella
Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this web site. Thank you for this post.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to see read that you have some knowledge about acne treatment cure...
ICC t20 World Cup 2016 Schedule download
T20 World Cup 2016 Expected Start Date

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home